I have 2 sisters who share equally in my Will but 1 now has dementia, do I need to change my Will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have 2 sisters who share equally in my Will but 1 now has dementia, do I need to change my Will?

The sister with dementia has a daughter who is her power of attorney. I don’t want her involved in my affairs. What should I do?

Asked on July 24, 2018 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you need to change your will. You can put the money/assets that wil go to the sister with dementia into a trust (what is called a "testamentary trust," or one that is only created by the will at your death, and does not exist before then) with a trustee who will manage the money and dole it out to the sister according to certain rules or instructions you put into the will (e.g. so much per month; can pay for medical or housing costs; etc.). The money will be under the control of the trustee, whom you can name in the will, not the daughter with the POA. Any trusts and estates attorney should be able to draw up such a will for you quickly and inexpensively.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption