What to do if the police have asked me to come in and talk to them about some illegal activity?

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the police have asked me to come in and talk to them about some illegal activity?

They said “we pretty much have all the evidence we need, but we want to allow you to come in and tell your side of the story”. Should I have representation with me or should I go alone? Also, I am an unemployed, and homeless person, I have been searching for some resource that can help me find/retain free legal representation. The only answer I have found is legal aid, but they won’t help until after arrested, is there any that can help before?

Asked on March 19, 2013 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Quite frankly, if they had all the evidence they need against you, they wouldn't be asking for your side of the story, they would just be arresting you.  Whenever you talk to the police or a detective, it really is best to have an attorney present to make sure that your rights are protected and your statements are not twisted.  If you cannot afford an attorney, tell the detectives that you will talk to them, but only if they can arrange for the court or a magistrate to appoint you an attorney.  If they really want to talk to you, they will help arrange for the appointment.  Otherwise, you should invoke your right to remain silent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption