What should I do if I had my brakes done at a shop and a couple days later my brake pedal hit the floor and I hit a tree?

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I had my brakes done at a shop and a couple days later my brake pedal hit the floor and I hit a tree?

Without telling them about an accident, I took it in, and they said they over-tightened one of the brake lines causing it to break. I then told them about the accident, and the store manager offered 100$ cash. I have a vintage vehicle that a body shop said it would be roughly $3500 to fix, and the regional manager just offered $1000 cash. I asked him for his insurance and he said no.

Asked on September 25, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your car is damaged due to the shop's negligence (carelessness), they are potentially liable for the lesser of the cost to repair the car or it's then current value. If they will not pay voluntarily (or put in a claim to their insurance), your option is to sue them (including possibly in small claims court, acting as your own attorney) for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption