What happens if an executor does not step up to their responsibilities of executing a Will?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if an executor does not step up to their responsibilities of executing a Will?

I had an uncle who passed away unexpectedly recently and I am trying to help my mother get answers to some questions. There is a third party named as executor who is not responding to our attempts at contacting him. How long does the family have to wait before taking action? Unfortunately, there are bills mounting that need to be paid and a pushy landlord who wants the apartment cleaned out.

Asked on March 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. Sorry for the loss of your uncle.  There is provision in law for removal of an executor.  I recommend that you immediately seek private legal counsel, and I suggest you telephone several attorneys in choosing.  If finances are an issue for you, some attorneys will consider your finances in fee (or offer some sort of sliding fee scale).  You should telephone several attorneys because you should feel comfortable, and a sense of great trust.  All the best to you and your family.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption