What can I do if I had an agreement with my landlord to pay back rent but due to the economy I was not able to and now I’m threatened with eviction?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I had an agreement with my landlord to pay back rent but due to the economy I was not able to and now I’m threatened with eviction?

When I told my landlord’s representative that I was unable to abide by the first agreement she threatened me with eviction, after explaining the situtation a new agreement was made verbally and the first payment of the new agreement was made early this month. Now she is threatening me with eviction again even though I have abided by the new agreement that was agreed to verbally a month ago. What can I do to avoid being evicted and loosing my business and only sourch of income?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A verbal agreement to modify a written agreement is not good.  You needed to have a new agreement in writing cancelling out the old agreement.  I would try and speak with your landlord directly and explain the situation.  Evicting you is costly and then going after you for the rent is bad for both of you.  If the place is rented continuously it is better for his as well.  I might speak with some type of advocate to help you re negotiate everything.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption