What to do about my insurance coverage and an accident that I had?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about my insurance coverage and an accident that I had?

I was making a left turn at a stoplight and a car in the oncoming side of the road had their turn signal on to make a right at the intersection but did not turn and we collided. At the time there were no serious injuries. The officer did not cite either of us but I am coded at fault on the report. My insurance company says that because of the other driver having the turn signal on that until a thorough investigation is done the other driver’s insurance will have to handle her damages. I have liability coverage up to 50k for bodily injury and 50k for property damage. Does any legal recourse she may pursue have to go through my insurance? Doesn’t the liability insurance I pay for cover it?

Asked on August 29, 2014 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your insurer is *your* insurer, not hers--they don't have an obligation to take care of her, only of you (up to your policy limit, that is). Until and unless she or her insurer sues you, there is no obligation on you to do anything--not to pay, not to retain an attorney, not to talk settlement, etc. Therefore, your insurer may be taking the position that until and unless you are sued, that they will not act. If/when you are sued, your insurer should at that point step into defend you, or settle the matter, and/or to indemnify you (reimburse you for any amounts that a court finds you have to pay)--again, up to your policy limit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption