What to do if I had an accident and police gave me a ticket without asking how the accident happened?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had an accident and police gave me a ticket without asking how the accident happened?

My head was hurting badly, so I could not speak at that time for the police report.

Asked on September 21, 2014 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you want to challenge the ticket, you would notify the court that you intend to plead not guilty and get a court date. To successfully challenge it, you'd have to show in court that you did not do whatever the officer accused you of doing (based the ticket on). You can use testimony, such as your own or that of any other witnesses; presumably, the officer will testify as to what he believes he perceived; the judge will then decide whether you committed the wrongful act or not. Or altnerately, you could pay the ticket and accept whatever points go with the infraction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption