Do I need to meet with and speak with the police regading a crime?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to meet with and speak with the police regading a crime?

I had a state cop a couple weeks ago contact me. He told me that I was person of intest in a bank robbery in the town I use to live. He ask me to take a polygraph and I agreed to but now that I hqave red some things about them I don’t want to take it. What should I do I have nothing to do with the crime?

Asked on October 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Many courts won't admit the results of a polygraph-- but will admit any statements that you make in conjunction with the polygraph-- so often, the polygraph is another version of an interrogation.  You are not required to go to the polygraph exam or to speak with the investigator.  That is your constitutional right.  However, sometimes speaking with an investigator can nip charges in the bud before they result in an arrest.  If you do want to get your information to them, do not do it alone-- use a criminal defense attorney to communicate any information that will help clear your name.  Otherwise, you would probably be better off avoiding an interview without the protection of an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption