What to do if I had a neighbor who was evicted several years ago and left a 63″ television and some DVD players at my apartment?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had a neighbor who was evicted several years ago and left a 63″ television and some DVD players at my apartment?

He hasn’t made any attempt to pick them up or have them picked up. What’s the process on charging for storage? How do I write a bill for storage or what am I legally allowed to do after this long with the items?

Asked on November 20, 2014 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can't charge for storage if you allowed your neighbor to leave things with you, unless at the time he/she agreed to pay storage charges; but without a prior agreement, there is no legal basis for charging him or her. Send him or her a letter, sent some way you prove delivery, giving him/she 30 days to pick up his/her stuff, or else you will consider the property abandoned and dispose of it as you see fit. If the former neighbor doesn't collect it in 30 days, throw out, keep it, sell it, etc.--whatever you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption