What can I do if I had a marijuana charge that was deferred adjudication 35 years ago but I still have it showing on my record?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I had a marijuana charge that was deferred adjudication 35 years ago but I still have it showing on my record?

This is keeping me from getting a job.

Asked on January 4, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can make an application for an order of non-disclosure.  It's similar to an expunction.  An expunction takes a charge off of our record completely.  An order of non-disclosure is similar... except that it's still on your record for law enforcement to see... but the general public and public employers will not be able to see it or use it against you.  If you attempt to work for a government agencies, then they may be able to see the information.  So.. not quite as wonderful as an expuction, but it will get you close enough to where you need to be so that you can get a job. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption