If Ihad a fire in my apartment and the landlord asks me to pay, does he have the right?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ihad a fire in my apartment and the landlord asks me to pay, does he have the right?

Does he has the right to ask me pay the damages? It was reported that I “had been cooking oil and left it unattended for few minutes”. The landlord wants me to pay $6500. Is this report enough evidence that the fire was my fault? I think it might be the pan was badly manufactured orthe stove was malfunctioning and overheating?

Asked on August 27, 2011 Massachusetts


Stan Helinski / McKinley Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Who drew the conclusion that you were cooking oil and left it unattended? Fire Department? 

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the terms of the written lease (assuming you have one) as to the obligations you owe the landlord and vice versa in that it controls absent conflicting state law. If there is a provision regarding damages to the unit you are renting, you need to carefully read it.

In all likelihood, the fire report and the conclusion that you caused the fire is prima facia evidence that you will be responsible for the repairs of the unit caused by the fire that occurred in the cooking area of the unit you are renting.

Since it appears that the fire and resulting damages are caused by you and your possible negligence in leaving the kitchen unattended when you were cooking, the landlord has the right to request that you pay the damages to repair his property.

Hopefully you have renter's insurance.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption