What to do about undue influence exerted over a deceased?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about undue influence exerted over a deceased?

I had a cousin pass away this week; the only family he had was 4 cousins. Anyway, a friend of his moved in with this cousin 2 weeks before he passed, Upon funeral arranging we find out that in that 2 weeks he had managed to have my cousin deed him all his property and sign over his vehicles and place his name on my cousins bank accounts. Is there anything we can do?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, obtain yourself probate litigation counsel right away who can file a petition into probate and obtain a temporary restraining order against transfer of any assets; hopefully, the person hasn't wasted the asset totally, and there is something left to recover. Don't delay, as this is urgent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption