If I had a contract on film to remodel a kitchen but once the job was done the owner refused to pay me, what can be done?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a contract on film to remodel a kitchen but once the job was done the owner refused to pay me, what can be done?

I am owed $2,200 for a kitchen remodel. There is no evidence of bad workmanship or

damage. The owner is refusing to pay me.

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to sue the homeowner for breach of contract--the obligation or agreement, whether oral or written, under which you would do work in exchange for payment. To win the suit, you would show that you did the work; the owner may try to defend by claiming bad work or that you didn't follow the agreed-upon plan or specifications, and you'd then have the chance to refute that claim. For the amount of money you describe, suing in small claims court is a good option. If your business was an LLC or corporation, you'd need to hire an attorney; but if it was not an LLC or corporation, you could represent yourself "pro se" to save on legal fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption