If I had a central air conditioning system installed and it will not stay working for more than a month at a time, what are my legal options?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a central air conditioning system installed and it will not stay working for more than a month at a time, what are my legal options?

It was installed 3 years ago. The company in question has taken us to collections for bills they say we owed for the air conditioner that will not work. Now we have had it on for a month and again it is not working. Do I have any legal options in this case?

Asked on June 10, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Why,may I ask, did you wait so long to seek help with this issue?  First, there is not enough information here as to what you can do and one would have to read your contract and have someone come in to see why the system keeps failing in order to try and form a cause of action against them.  It would probably fall under a breach of contract or breach of warranty claim. Now, you always have to be careful about the statute of limitations on these matters.  In New Jersey the statute of limitations for a breach of contract claim is six years.  But 3 probably went by quickly already so you need to seek legal help with all of this.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption