What are my rights if I was cheated by my tax preparer?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was cheated by my tax preparer?

I had a bookkeeper do my taxes for my wife and I. We thought that he got us a decent refund. Well it turns out he sent $4000 of our return into a separate account that we didn’t know about. When I found out, I confronted him. Of course he denied it but was willing to make payments to make it right. Well, I excepted $700 so far but we don’t have anything on paper. What kind of action should I take from here?

Asked on July 3, 2014 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) In terms of compesation, if he pays everything he took, you will be made whole. You should, to make things easier for you, try to get him to sign a settlement agreement in which you will give up any claims against him arising out of this incident if he pays you however much is left, within a defined time frame--the reason you want to do this is that while you can simply sue him for stealing from you (which is what he did), a suit for theft or professional malpractice is more complicated than a lawsuit for violating a settlement agreement, which would be a simple breach of contract case.

1a) However, as stated, you have the right to sue him for theft and/or professional malpractice, so if you can't enter into an acceptable arrangment or he generally stops paying, you can file a lawsuit on that basis.

2) What he did would be a crime, if done deliberately (rather than through some kind of careless/oversight/error)--you could report this to the police. That will not necessarily help you get your money back, but may provide a sense of justice.

3) You could also report him to the accounting licensing board in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption