What are my rights if a doctor performed a procedure more extensive than the one that I consented to?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a doctor performed a procedure more extensive than the one that I consented to?

I had 2 obstructions in my urethra. The doctor told me after several examinations that he would make 2 incisions to make the repairs. In the case of the one closest to the tip of my penis he would need to take “a small piece ” of my foreskin “of which I had a lot” to aid in the repair. At no time did he mention circumcision or removal of the entire foreskin. I only found out when I came out of ansthesia. I am 70 years old and never thought I would experience such an extreme loss of sensitivity. Is this grounds for a lawsuit and, if so, what are the odds of winning?

Asked on December 10, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If it turned out to be necessary while you were on the operating table that a complete circumscion or foreskin removal be performed (e.g. some diseased or damaged tissue was discovered that required it, or the repairs to the uretha required more removal), then the doctor would seem to have done what was medically necessary and appropriate and there would be no malpractice.

If it was not medically necessary, then given the lack of consent, it may be malpractice. But even if it were, you might not win enough to make the lawsuit worthwhile: you could only recover an amount commensurate with the injury, and since "loss of sensitivity" is subjective and difficult to prove, and some jurors may be skeptical about how much it matters in a man of 70 years, it might not be something you get a large award for--especially since circumscision is a common procedure and there is medical literature that it does not cause any significant issues with sexual performance or enjoyment. Furthermore, for all malpractice cases, you have to hire a medical expert of your own to testify, and such are very expensive; you could spend as much on the lawsuit (or more) then you would recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption