What will happen if I hacked somebody’s email?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I hacked somebody’s email?

I hacked a friend’s email and sent a silly not so nice message from it to one of her contacts. I think she guessed or knows that it’s me as we’ve been having some relation/friendship abondonment issues between us. Now I am scared of legal retribution due to my heat of the moment anger. What do I do? I’ve never done anything before. I feel bad and guilty for my choices.

Asked on August 12, 2018 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Hacking ones email comes under the Computer Crime statutes in your state, so the laws vary from being a misdemeanor to a felony depending.  Becuase the severity of the crime varies so then does the severity of the punishment.  I might speak with a local attorney on this one.  Not only is it hacking of the person you hacked but it could be some sort of harassment of the person you sent it to. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption