If I got married 11 months ago, would I be able to get an annulment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got married 11 months ago, would I be able to get an annulment?

I know you’re probably wondering why I waited so long. I was stupid enough to believe he

would change for the sake of our child but no he didn’t. He’s still verbally and emotionally

abusive to me. He wasn’t even supportive during my labor. And after being in labor for 20

hours I had to stay up all night with the baby because he wanted to get some sleep.. even

the nurses made comments to him. He’s an alcoholic also and smokes weed. The reason I’m asking this question is because I want to move to my mother’s with my child so we can have a better life and she lives in another state.

Asked on November 1, 2016 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What you describe is certainly grounds for a divorce, but not for an annulment. Annulments are only for certain, specific reasons which render the marriage not just bad or undesirable, but intrinsically void, such as:
1) one spouse was married to someone else at the same time he/she got "married" again;
2) a spouse was under the age of consent;
3) a spouse was mentally incompetent when getting married;
4) a spouse lied about a fundamental reason for getting married--e.g. claimed to want children, when he/she did not, or actually only got married for immigration reasons without telling the spouse.
Other than as the above, you can't annull just because a marriage is fairly short term or not working out; you'd need to divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption