I got married in Georgia and my wife lives in Florida,where do I file for a divorce?

UPDATED: May 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I got married in Georgia and my wife lives in Florida,where do I file for a divorce?

We got married 6mos ago when she came to visit one weekend,we are both 26 yra old, and neither have any assets. What would be the least expensive way to get a divorce?

Asked on May 9, 2009 under Family Law, Alabama


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can get a divorce in Florida, because she lives there, or you can get a divorce where you live, which I understand to be Alabama.  If you have just moved to Alabama from Georgia, you may have to wait, since there is a six-month residency requirement which you will have to prove.

You should be able to find do-it-yourself forms and instructions on the internet.  The least expensive way to get a divorce, with or without a lawyer, is if your spouse cooperates.  But if she is not willing to cooperate, and you value your own time at all, hiring a lawyer may be your best bet.  You can find divorce lawyers in your area several different ways, including our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption