What to do if I got into a fender bender the other day and I have just found out that I was not insured at the time?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got into a fender bender the other day and I have just found out that I was not insured at the time?

The police were called and I got a ticket for careless driving. I didn’t know that I was uninsured because my insurance card said it was good. Now, the guy I hit has been calling me and threatening to call the police. I told him I was not aware that I was not insured at that time and would pay for the damages as soon as possible. The fact is that thae only damage on his car is a few dents and scratches on his back bumper. He hasn’t gotten a quote to fix it yet. What do iIdo? I don’t want to get into trouble.

Asked on March 2, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you had reason to believe you were insured--such as, as you write, your insurance card "said it was good" and you had no reason to think otherwise--you should not face criminal liability for lack of insurance. You could of course face liabiltiy for careless driving, and if you were driving carelessly, would have to pay (out of pocket, since you don't have insurance) for any damage to his car. If you don't pay voluntarily, he could sue you and likely win.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption