If I got fired from my job for very unprofessional reasons, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got fired from my job for very unprofessional reasons, what can I do?

I got fired from my job, which happens to be a private shoe store company due to allegedly starting a rumor. I worked hard. I was asked a question about my manager about whether the store manager and district manager were dating, and I said that I though that they were and I was fired for saying that. What is the next step?

Asked on November 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is not illegal to be treated unprofessionally by your company. The only time a worker would have a claim regarding hostile or harrassing behavior is if it is due to some form of legally actionable discrimination or retaliation. In other words, was your treatment based on your race, religion, age (over 40), disability, etc.? If not then your former employer broke no laws in discharging you. That having been said, if your dismissal violated the terms of any applicable union agreement or employment contract, then you would have a claim. Otherwise, a company could set the conditions of the workplace much as it saw fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption