If I got arrested but not convicted, can my employer terminate me?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got arrested but not convicted, can my employer terminate me?

My employer ran a background check all ready and it came up as a pending case until I go to court again.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your employer can run a background check, especially if you have given the company the permission to run such a search. If you were arrested, that is not typically considered a legal bad act; however, your employer can terminate you in most states without or with cause. If you are in a state that allows termination without cause and with no notice, then your employer can just simply let you go. If your employer has not terminated you yet, chances are the employer is waiting to see what the outcome is in this case. If this is your first offense, make sure you talk to legal counsel about seeking an alternative conviction, something wherein you would be eligible for expungement or sealing of records if you stay clean for a while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption