If I got an underage DUI what is my best course of action?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got an underage DUI what is my best course of action?

I have not been to court yet. My miranda rights were not read to me when I was and cuffed. I blew a .032.

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under PA law, someone under 21 found to have a BAC over 0.02 is prosecuted as a "High Rate DUI". This means:

  • a prison sentence from 2 days up to 6 months;
  • a 12 month license suspension; and/or 
  • a $500-$5,000 fine.

Additionally there are other factors to be considered:

  • DUI convictions become part of your permanent criminal record and stay with you forever;
  • Your auto insurance are affected;
  • In some cases a DUI conviction can prevent you from certain employment.

The fact is that there are defenses that can be made in such cases, even when a breathalyzer has been given. At this point you should contact a DUI attorney in the area where the arrest occurred. An experienced lawyer can utilize their local contacts within the court system to your best advantage.

Note: A Miranda warning need only be given if you are arrested and then questioned. And the questioning must be more than than which is part of the normal booking process. Typically DUI arrestees are not questioned. If you were, discuss this with your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption