What to do if I got an $800 scholarship that I was not supposed to get then it was taken away and now I am supposed to pay it back?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got an $800 scholarship that I was not supposed to get then it was taken away and now I am supposed to pay it back?

I attended a university and last semester I gave up a scholarship voluntarily. I was not supposed to receive it this semester but the university made a mistake and applied it anyway. Then a month later, they withdrew it without informing me and I just found out today that I owe it and need to pay it back by next week. Am I liable for their mistake?

Asked on April 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you received scholarship moneys that you were not supposed to receive and you spent the scholarship money, unfortunately for you, you are responsible for repaying the money. If you cannot pay the full amount all at once, I suggest that you reach some installment agreement over time in writing for the repayment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption