I got a DUI and DUI-child endangerment because my 3 yr old was in the car. What does that really mean, and what should i do?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I got a DUI and DUI-child endangerment because my 3 yr old was in the car. What does that really mean, and what should i do?

I can not afford an attorney because I have been laid off.  I had 1 cocktail, sips of wine with dinner, and 1/2 of beer after dinner.  I have 3 witnesses that can attest to that, yet when I did the breatalizer it registered, .14 and then 10 min later .15. I don’t know how that could be. I dont know what to do or what all this means.

Asked on June 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

A mother arrested for DUI with children in the car gets a DUI conviction for the initial DUI offense and one for each child in the car.  Therefore the penalties in a case such as this will be enhanced.  They will include jail time, fines, license suspension, mandatory alcohol evaluation and/or treatment, community service, risk reduction/DUI school, and an ignition interlock device on your car. 

Note:  You only have 10 business days from the date of your arrest to request an administrative hearing before the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicle Safety.  You must request this hearing in order to contest the suspension of your driver's license.  This is separate from the court date you may have received on your citation.

Additionally, any DUI violation that occurs while transporting a minor child under the age of 14 years old is also guilty of a separate offense of endangering a child by driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.  The DUI and Child Endangerment offenses will not be merged and will be punished separately.  So there will be a separate court proceeding and penalties for that.

Bottom line, you are in a great deal of trouble.  You need to speak with an attorney, preferably one specializing in DUI cases.  I know money is an issue but if there is any way for you to hire private counsel I would urge you to do so; otherwise contact the public defender or legal aid.  This is a very technical area of the law and someone well versed on the subject may be able to get the charges thrown at or at least reduced.  Don't wait, you need legal representation immediately.

If you need help in finding an attorney you can look for an attorney in your area at www.AttorneyPages.com.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption