What are my rights if I got a warning letter because I refused an additional work given by my boss?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I got a warning letter because I refused an additional work given by my boss?

I refused because I have been assigned an extra work beside my own job due to the resignation of one of the employee. Can I sue my boss/the company?

Asked on November 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No you cannot sue your employer/boss for this. In an "at will" employment arrangement, an employer can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes what hours to assign to an employee. And the fact is that if you refuse to work your assigned scheduled, you can be terminated (in fact you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all).
Your only protection here would be if your employer's actions violate the terms of an employment agreement, union contract or company policy, or if your treatment constitutes some form of actionable discriminaton/retaliation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption