If I got a ticket for going 40 mph in a 30 mph, is there anyway I can fight to keep it off my record?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got a ticket for going 40 mph in a 30 mph, is there anyway I can fight to keep it off my record?

The cop was hidden. As I realized I was going a little fast, I started breaking and then I noticed the lights behind me. The cop never turned his sirens on.

Asked on November 28, 2015 under General Practice, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There ar eseveral ways to contest a speeding ticket. You can contest it and hope that the issuing officer does not show up to court (if he does, you'll need an alternate defense). You could also aclaim that you were not in fact speeding; ask what the exect reading on the gun as and when it was last calibrated before you recieved your ticket (request that all documents and other evidence be actually produced). Finally, you can argue that that if you were speeding, it was excusable. For example, you might find that the speed limit sign was obstructed or covered by foliage or even missing completely (take pictures of this).
Bottom line, there are defenses to a speeding ticket. You can defend yourself but it might well be worth retaining an attorney who can present the best viable defense. It will save you court fines and increased car insurance premiums.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption