What to do about future employment if I got a DUI?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about future employment if I got a DUI?

It was 5 years ago and I was finishing school for a degree in Elementary Education. I won one case to where I did not lose my driver’s license but was charged with the actual DUI in the second case. I was still able to get a diversion, and am currently in that process so the DUI still shows up completely, not amended. I applied for my teaching license. It typically takes a while to process but I recently checked the status and it said, “Criminal history records investigation pending”. I was already hired at a school for this coming fall with my license pending but I am wondering if the DUI would prohibit me from getting my license in the first place? Is there always a criminal record pending? Could I lose the job?

Asked on June 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Potenatilly your DUI conviction may hinder your job search and employment in the future. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to see if you could possibly expunge your criminal conviction and if done, have your criminal file sealed. If that happens, such would assist you in your job endeavors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption