What to do if I got a DUI a few months ago and just recently got my restricted license but it only allows me to drive to work and to my DUI class?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got a DUI a few months ago and just recently got my restricted license but it only allows me to drive to work and to my DUI class?

However, I need to drive to school. I’m a college student and I live 30 miles from school. Is there any way that I can get my restricted license modified so I can drive to school?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

That depends.  Under Vehicle Code § § 13353.8 (anyone) and 13202.5(c) (in the case of a person under 21), a California driver’s license holder can petition the DMV to issue a restricted license in lieu of suspension based on a “critical need” to drive.  This restricted license can be based upon three basic grounds in general – school, medical needs or employment.  The courts will look at if the school or other public transportation options are inadequate for regular attendance at school and other activities authorized by the school.  This application requires a signature by the school principle verifying such facts.  Was that part of the original application?  If not then maybe that is why it was excluded.  You should try and re apply.  Speak with your lawyer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption