i get SSI. Will getting a car accident injury settlement in Oakland, CA affect my SSI benefit?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i get SSI. Will getting a car accident injury settlement in Oakland, CA affect my SSI benefit?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Accident Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Will an auto accident injury settlement affect your SSI benefit in Oakland, CA. Yes it will.  You need to speak with the people at SS to inform them of this settlement.  If you have already received it then you may have to pay back what you were overpaid by SSI.  However, this will only amount to about 10% of your monthly check.  And since this is a one-time payment, you may still be eligible for future SSI payments.  Don't try to hide this income, they will more than likely find out about it.

The other thing you can do is to speak to your attorney about setting up a special needs trust.  This may or may not be of help in your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption