If I verbally agreed to give my ex-husband full custody of our son, canI get my full custody back?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I verbally agreed to give my ex-husband full custody of our son, canI get my full custody back?

I gave my ex-husband full custody of our son to get out of the military. We had a verbal agreement; he didn’t go thought with it. Is there anyway I can get full custody again and fight for for my son? I don’t get to see him often. It’s only when my ex wants me to see him.

Asked on July 23, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

But you either signed an actual agreement to give him full custody or you did not object when he petitioned the court, correct?  Then I think that you need to hire an attorney as soon as you possibly can in order to petition the court to set aside the agreement that you made.  This is a very delicate situation here and you need to sit with an attorney to figure out strategy on the matter at this point in time.  You do not want to have the court believe that you were helping him perpetrate a fraud on the military or maybe you do but put it in a better light.  If there is some way to obtain some leverage here against him then explore that as well. But at the very least you should get joint custody and try for being the custodial parent.   Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption