What to do if I gave away a junk car as parts with no title and the receiving party somehow fixed it and crashed it?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I gave away a junk car as parts with no title and the receiving party somehow fixed it and crashed it?

I gave a car that was damaged far beyond drivability and seemingly repair to someone as parts without title. The person subsequently repaired the vehicle, then crashed it. I didn’t receive any notices about this until being pulled over and told my license was revoked because the insurance company of the other party involved in the accident had brought me to court which resulted in me owing them $8,000. I never received any information or notices that any of this was taking place. Do I have any options to get my license back?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Accident Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to do about the situation where you are being assessed an eight-thousand dollar ($8,000.00) penalty is that you need to contact the Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicles to discuss the fact that you gave the vehicle from which the penalty is being assessed soley for parts and be prepared to provide this governmental entity the following:

1. the name, address and telephone number of the person who received the vehicle and presumably crashed it;

2. provide all documents showing that you actually gave the vehicle to this person such as all receipts and written agreements;

3. contact your own insurance company that insured the vehicle when you owned it and ask for all insurance information concerning it during your ownership.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption