Howto collect monies owed me?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Howto collect monies owed me?

I gave a check to someone as payment for an item. The person agreed to take their portion of the money and give me the remainder. They check was deposited in a joint account under their name solely. The other joint owner withdrew the funds. What legal action if any could I take?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You could sue for the money. You should name both account holders--the one who allegedly withdrew the money wrongfully, and the one who was supposed to return some of the money to you; that way, you can be sure you will have the responsible party (let them fight among themselves over who owes what).  One option, if the amount at stake is a few hundred dollars, is to sue in small claims court, where you do not need an attorney (you can act as your own lawyer).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption