If 1 of employees forget to add their SSN on Section 1 of the I-9, is it ok for me to add it?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If 1 of employees forget to add their SSN on Section 1 of the I-9, is it ok for me to add it?

Also, for Section 2, if the employer puts the the Social Security information on Box A, is it ok for me to cross out the information on Box A and add it to Box B?

Asked on July 18, 2015 under Immigration Law, Wisconsin


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You could potentially make the changes... and no one would probably care or know unless you were audited.  However, if you are usually the victim of "Murphy's Law".... what can happen... will happen.... then don't take chances.  The best practice is to simply have the employee come back in and correct the form themselves.  They can either execute a whole new form or edit this form and initial the changes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption