What to do if I filed for unemployment and began receiving benefits but after 3 claims, I received a letter that my employer filed an appeal?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I filed for unemployment and began receiving benefits but after 3 claims, I received a letter that my employer filed an appeal?

If I had went on a medical leave and was not offered my same position upon return, is this a valid reason for leaving? I was already approved, so I do not understand why they decided to deny it after giving me 3 claims. I believed I was eligible because I was approved and would not have done so if it was not correct.

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

When someone files for unemployment, the DOL may pay benefits until an employer files a response.  If their response states a valid reason for your benefits to be denied or post-poned, the administrator of your case can suspend or end your benefits.  Here is a link which sets out the valid reasons for termination: http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/aftrfile/fired.html

From what you describe, you should be eligible for benefits.  If you still believe that you are, you need to appeal the decision to end your benefits.  The paperwork you received should explain how to do that.  If you are not sure how to perfect your appeal, the same link above also includes instructions on how to perfect an appeal.

As an additional note, it's a little odd that you were terminated after an approved medical leave.  You may want to arrange a consultation with an employment law attorney to review your termination paperwork, your unemployment claim paperwork, and your former employer's response to your claim.  You may have some additional claims under the FMLA or some other act for an unlawful discharge-- since it came at the same time as your leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption