Will I need to cancel a summary dissolution and do a contested divorce regarding a jointly owned car?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I need to cancel a summary dissolution and do a contested divorce regarding a jointly owned car?

I filed for a summary dissolution about 6 months ago. In the summary dissolution it states not to list the car; my husband told me not to worry about it because he would make the payments. We are currently financing the car together but he has been late on the payments. He is not answering my phone calls anymore; I don’t know where he lives now nor the location of the car. I tried to voluntarily repo it but they cannot help me unless the car is in my possession. I tried calling lojack but they can’t help me because I would need to report it stolen. What kind of lawyer should I talk to? A divorce lawyer or a consumer lawyer?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to talk to a divorce lawyer.  You need to file a motion to set aside the judgment for summary dissolution, then file for divorce. 

Since your credit has already been effected pretty badly, your other option is to hire a private investigator to find your husband's current address, then have the car voluntarily repossessed.

This is why you can't lie on the summary dissolution paperwork. 

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption