If I filed bankruptcy 5 years ago and most of my debts were discharged, can I now amend my filing to add my mortgage?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I filed bankruptcy 5 years ago and most of my debts were discharged, can I now amend my filing to add my mortgage?

I was able to keep my home but due to a unfortunate situation I got behind in my home loan payments and am now in the process of a foreclosure. Can the home loan be put on the bankruptcy so it doesn’t go into complete foreclosure and doesn’t hurt me as bad?

Asked on April 5, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unforntunately for you since you received a bankruptcy discharge years ago you cannot amend the filing to add your home to the petition. I suggest that you consult with an attorney in your locality to assist you in the matter. One that deals with loan modifications can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption