If I feel I’m a “victim” of a special needs trust so to speak, is there any way to contest such a trust when it contains a “no contest” clause?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I feel I’m a “victim” of a special needs trust so to speak, is there any way to contest such a trust when it contains a “no contest” clause?

My dad passed away 2 years ago, and left his estate to my sister my brother and I. We’re all on disability but my sister was given her share of the “inheritance” as a gift because she’s technically retired, not on disability. My brother is receiving SSI benefits so his benefits are means tested. I’m on Social Security Disability, which is not means tested. My dad decided to put my share of the inheritance and my brother’s share (for good reason) in a speical needs trust. In my case, it’s totally unnecessary. Can I successfully contest this if it has a “no contest” clause?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would take the trust document to an attorney to review under the laws in your state.  You are correct that Social Security Disability is not means tested. But if it is possible that you could indeed end up on some other form of governmental assistance then you may indeed want to consider leaving the trust as is.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption