What are my rights if I feel discriminated at work because I am a woman?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I feel discriminated at work because I am a woman?

I am a Warehouse Manager for a distribution company, yet I am not considered for any decision making or my opinion is not considered when it comes to decisions in my department. I am always the last to find out about any decisions that have been made. And these decisions are made by men in the company and others who have nothing to do in my department. I had a male assistant and any matters that had to do with the warehouse, where taken to him and I was again left out. My assistant no longer works for me but I am still being left out of all warehouse affairs.

Asked on December 30, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

An employer may not discrminate against women in their jobs. There are, of course, valid reasons to sometimes give a female employee less authority or input, or a lesser role, for example, then male employees, but those are the same reasons to give any employee A less authority, etc. than employee B: less time in service, less experience, lacks credentials, etc. If those or similar issues do not exist here and it seems that the only reason for the differential treatment is your gender, that may well be illegal gender-based discrimination, and you may have a legal claim. If you feel this is the case, you may wish to contact your state equal/civil rights agency or the federal EEOC to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption