What can I do if I quit my job for another but my work hours were misrepresented?

UPDATED: May 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I quit my job for another but my work hours were misrepresented?

I recently severed ties with my employer of 3 years to accept a position with another company. I went through all of the hoops, worked for the client for 2 days and was informed that they could not work with my school schedule (of which I only have 5 weeks left). It appears that the company recruiter had given me the incorrect hours of the schedule that I would be working. I was told that I would be working 8-5but my hours actually turned out to be 9-5.  Yet in my interview they were made aware of my school schedule, and I was told that it wouldn’t be a problem. The company was unwilling to yield. What can I do? I feel as though I was scammed and mislead and am now unemployed because of it.

Asked on May 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you left, as  you say, another job to take this job; and if you also made the company or its agents (e.g. recruiters) aware of your needs; and if in response to that information, in order to get you to accept the job, the company or its agents made representations (statements or promises) which you reasonably relied upon in leaving the other job or taking other action to your detriment; then you may indeed have a cause of action based on what is known as "promissory estoppel." (Basically, someone can't, knowing of the consequences, make a promise to get you to do something, then disregard that promise.) From what you write, it would seem to be worth your while to consult with an employment attorney who can evaluate your situation in detail and advise as to a course of action. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption