If I failed to collect insurance reward for injury 25 years ago, is it too late now?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I failed to collect insurance reward for injury 25 years ago, is it too late now?

I suffered an injury on the job. Then I moved from NY to CA. I never collected the insurance settlement from that accident. Is it still available? How can I find out? The insurance offered to settled but I failed to do so.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Personal Injury, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there was a settlement offer and you didn't accept the offer or reject the offer and file a lawsuit, the statute of limitations has expired for filing a lawsuit.

If there was a settlement and you didn't receive it, you can contact the company to try to determine its status.  Another possibility if the company doesn't have the information is to check the New York state government website link for unclaimed property.  Enter your name on the unclaimed property link and see if the insurance settlement or any other unclaimed property you might have is listed.  Follow the claims procedure on the website to obtain your property.

If you have unclaimed property, ignore any letters you receive from companies offering to assist you in obtaining the unclaimed property in exchange for a fee (usually a percentage of the amount of the unclaimed property).  The claim forms are easy to complete and you don't need to pay some company to do it for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption