What to do if I evicted my past tenant but don’t have a forwarding address or phone number for her?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I evicted my past tenant but don’t have a forwarding address or phone number for her?

I want to know how I can collect on past due rent. Can I put a lien against her car? Or against her ex-husband’s alimony payments? I know the amount of alimony she receives can pay for the money owed.

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You first need to get the new address for the former tenant to serve her with an intended lawsuit for past rent that is not paid. I suggest that you contact her "ex" for the new address for service of the summons and complaint. Looking online might help as well for a new address location for her.

You cannot lien the car prior to getting a judgment against her. You can lien the payments of the "ex" due the former tenant after you get a judgment and perform the required levy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption