If I entered into a consignment agreement with a local retailer for sale of a saddle, how long can the consignee hold my money after the sale?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I entered into a consignment agreement with a local retailer for sale of a saddle, how long can the consignee hold my money after the sale?

The agreement states “all sales transacted at that date are forwarded to our bookkeeper for processing. Checks are issued following submission to the bookkeeper”. I was immediately aware of when the saddle sold. I was told the information went to the bookkeeper and I would be receiving a check. Next I was told it would take 2-3 weeks. At 2 weeks after sale I again inquired as to when I would be getting my check, I was told 3-4 weeks. What can I do to get payment?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Business Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

At some point, if not paid and it appears that they don't intend to pay, you can sue; that, unfortunately, would be the only way to get your money, if they don't voluntarily come forward with it. When exactly that points comes--when you should sue--is not clear, since matters of payment timing are ordinarily governed by contract; the law does not specify a time frame or deadline, but rather, it's what the parties agree to. Unfortunately, from what you write, your agreement with the retailer was either silent or ambiguous on this subject, so it is not clear exactly when the retailer would be late or in default on its obligation to pay you. When you can't wait any longer and don't think they'll pay, that's when to sue; you can sue in small claims court, where you don't need an attorney, to keep costs down.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption