If I no longer want to be a part of the partnership that I formed a few months ago, what can I file to leave?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I no longer want to be a part of the partnership that I formed a few months ago, what can I file to leave?

She can keep the company but I want out. How can I drop my name off the business? It’s a partnership. Should I file a limited partnership transmittal form?

Asked on August 31, 2011 Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It may not be as simple as filling out a form because you need to ensure you protect yourself from future liability and an improper separation from the company may just get you into hot water down the road. Make sure you review your limited partnership agreement and any and all filings with the Georgia Secretary of State. If you have to vote on your removal or vote to transfer your interest, then do this act at the same time or before you need to fill out your transmittal documents. Usually the articles of organization will dictate what you must do to effectuate separation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption