What to do if I did cleaning work for someone and they owe me $180?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I did cleaning work for someone and they owe me $180?

She gave me cleaning supplies but since she refuses to pay me, I have not returned her supplies. She filed a report with the local police saying that I, “stole” the items. She will not give me a correct address so that I can file a civil case against her. She even gave the investigating officer fase information. What can I legally do to get her correct information so that I can get paid?

Asked on January 28, 2014 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Just because someone owes you money does not give you the right to take or unlawfully possess the other person's property.  If you can not personally serve her at a known address, most states have rules of court that allow for alternative forms of service, such as service by publication.  Go down to your local justice court and request a copy of the civil rules for your jurisdiction, particularly with respect to service of process.  If she owns real property, you can also try the county assessor's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption