What can I do if I dented a fendor on a car at work and they have insurance but are now trying to make me pay the bill?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I dented a fendor on a car at work and they have insurance but are now trying to make me pay the bill?

I pulled car in for service but the garage door was broken so I had to back it in to my bay. There was a nitro tire fill machine in my blind spot. I hit it and dented the fender. I told my boss and sent it in for an estimte. Now weeks later they have given me a bill for $1202.70. Is the company responsable for the bill or am I? I feel that I am not responsible because I was performing my job when the accident happened.

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An employer is liable for the negligence of an employee which occurs during the course and scope of employment.  Therefore, your employer's insurance carrier should pay for the property damage (cost of repairs for the dented fender), and a claim should be filed with that insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption