Does child support go up if you have an increase in your income?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does child support go up if you have an increase in your income?

I currently pay child support. I have remarried and have 2 more children. I would like to be able to provide for my new family as well. I am currently looking at an investment property with my wife to put more stability in our every day life as well into our children future. Can they increase my child support if I buy this property because I have more income even though I am buying it with my wife?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Child support orders in all states in this country are premised upon the net monthly disposable income of the parents of a given minor where a child support order is in place. Just beacuse a parent's gross monthly income increases does not necessarily mean that his or her net monthly income does so as well.

Net monthly icome is determined by gross monthly income less expenses on a monthly basis.The mere purchase of property (unless income property) does not necessarily mean that one's net monthly icome increases since if you are financing this property there is a monthly debt load that you need to service it not including property taxes, upkeep and insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption