How do Iget my criminal record expunged if I have2 differentcharges from2 different states?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do Iget my criminal record expunged if I have2 differentcharges from2 different states?

I am in school for radiography and have the intention of working in a hospital in a couple of years but need my criminal record to be clean by then. I have a couple of charges against me, one for possession of marijuana in V, and one for possession of marijuana in WY. I am not sure where to start or with whom to speak to begin this process, and I’m not even sure if I’m eligible since I have 2 of these charges. The first 1 is from 5 years ago; 1was from about 1 1/2 years ago.

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have criminal convictions in two different states that you would like to explore the possibility of them being expunged, you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney (preferably in the county of the state where the convictions occurred) about what you want and see what he or she can do.

Since there are two states involved, you will most likely have to retain attorneys in each of those states.

You need to be aware that an expungement being granted is no certain thing. The court looks at how long the conviction occurred, what you have done since, whether there are any criminal matters subsequent and the reasons for the expungement.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption