What can I do if I currently live in an apartment with one other person and they bought a cat knowing that I am severely allergic to cats?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I currently live in an apartment with one other person and they bought a cat knowing that I am severely allergic to cats?

She bought a cat about a month ago and has been keeping it in the apartment. I am allergic to cats and have allergy induced asthma. She knew this prior to buying the cat. I have been having breathing problems ever since she bought the cat and I have used my emergency inhaler more times this last month than I had all of last year. My breathing just keeps getting worse and worse. Now, I can barely tell a difference in my ability to breathe after I use my emergency inhaler. I’m afraid that soon I will have to be taken to the hospital to get treated on a regular basis. My property manager says she can’t do anything because we are on separate leases. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on February 20, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, there is nothing that can be done unless her lease is a no-pets lease, in which case, you may be able to enforce that lease against her as a third party beneficiary of the lease agreement or, more likely, force the landlord to enforce it against her because the breach is depriving you of peaceful enjoyment. But without a no pets clause or provision, she is legally allowed to get a cat, even if her roommate is allergic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption