I currently have full custody of my kids and now file for child support, can their dad get his rights back?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I currently have full custody of my kids and now file for child support, can their dad get his rights back?

I want to file for child support but am afraid their dad will petition for custody. He has a criminal record and children and youth were involved because he bruised my daughter but it went unfounded. Can he get rights back? I was granted full legal custody and their dad got 2 Sundays a month for a total of 6 hours. However he agreed to sign those away if I dropped support so I did. The court system seemed to be more concerned with 2 parents being involved over the welfare of my children. Dad also has mental health issues and was hospitalized for it.

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that you were not represented by counsel during this proceeding, correct?  Please do not make the same mistake twice.  Please seek legal help from legal aid or a legal services.  Now, it is unclear what exactly you signed and that reall matters.  Were his rights terminated?  Then so was his obligation to pay child support.  If they were not then you have to stop living in fear.  He can ask the court to grant custody and visitation at any time so do not fear filing for support.  And do not think that just because he files for custody and visitation the court will grant it.  But if they do you can try and limit it in time and with supervision.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption